First, ask yourself if you are using the correct species of grass to meet your needs. Beautiful, healthy and well-maintained grass gives a property an inviting and warm feel.
No matter whether the property is private or commercial, a carpet of green grass adds a welcoming touch to any space. The soothing colour of green is a natural and relaxing one. It signals verdant growth and the presence of nature in our hectic lives. Let’s not forget about the importance of grass on our golf courses.
Are you giving your lawn the right amount of time?
A lush, healthy, and well-maintained lawn is a delight to look at. When they are surrounded by flowerbeds and walkways, it creates a feeling of luxury that cannot be underestimated. It takes effort, time and knowledge to maintain a lawn in good condition. Unfortunately, time is often our greatest enemy when trying to maintain a healthy lawn. To care for grass effectively, we need to know which grass species are suitable for our needs.
There are many types of grass to choose from
South Africa has many different grass species. These include:
- Bermuda Grass. This beautiful grass is one of South Africa’s most popular. This grass can withstand heavy foot traffic but is not suited for shady areas. It is native to South Africa and has been well-adjusted to South African conditions.
- Kikuyu Grass. This grass is one of the most well-known. It is a fast-growing grass that thrives in sunny locations. Kikuyu grass needs to be cut every other week. Cutting more than one-third of the grass blades in a single mowing can cause the grass to become weaker. This grass is tough and resilient and can withstand heavy traffic and abuse. It can quickly grow and must be controlled to prevent it from spreading to flowerbeds or onto walkways. It is the easiest to maintain and the most common type of grass. It is susceptible to diseases if it is left in a wet or prolonged shade. It is a fast-growing grass that needs to be watered frequently in hot weather. The winter months are when the grass growth slows down. In winter-rainfall areas, it is important to ensure that the lawn doesn’t become too dry.
- LM Grass. Like Kikuyu, it has a creeping growth rate but is much less intrusive than Kikuyu. It can withstand heat stress and drought. It can be used in homes, office parks, and shade areas. However, it is not suitable for high-traffic areas because of its soft texture. In winter, this grass goes dormant.
- Gulf Green. This is the most expensive type of lawn grass. However, it’s also the most beautiful because of its deep green colour. This grass is soft and easy to walk on, sit down and enjoy. This species is also an indigenous one, which makes it a great choice for South Africa’s climate.
- Buffalo Grass. This grass can be grown in both shade and sun. It is also a hardy grass that is well-suited for enduring heat, cold, and drought. Although it is native to coastal areas, it does not thrive in sandy soils. It grows slower than Kikuyu and requires only one mow per month. It is susceptible to weed infestation due to its slow growth. It goes dormant between April and September.
- St Augustine, another shade of grass.
- Fescue Grass is also suitable for shady places.
- Cynodon. Because of its fine texture and deep roots, this grass is great for areas that are susceptible to drought. This grass is considered to be invasive because of its rapid growth rate. It can easily overtake slower-growing lawns if it is not controlled. This grass is tough and can withstand heavy traffic. The grass will turn pale yellow in winter, but it will return to green when summer comes back.
It’s easy to see why choosing the right grass is important for the area being covered. Every species has its advantages and disadvantages. It is important to research before you decide which one to use and how to use it.
Pay attention to invasive weeds
It is important to remember that grass, just like its floral counterparts in flowers, can be attacked by pests or overtaken by invasive weeds.
In a nutshell, keep an eye out for weeds like:
- The bright yellow flowers of dandelions can be found all year. However, mature plants will have a hard-to-reach taproot. These weeds should be eliminated early in their life cycle using the appropriate herbicides.
- Winter Grass. This weed is found in moist and shaded areas. It is especially common during winter months. Its bright green colour is distinctive, as well as its small white flowers.
- Creeping Sorrel. This weed, named for its horizontal growth, is identifiable by its small yellow flowers.
- Broadleaf weeds. These weeds can establish themselves in both lawns and flowerbeds with equal ease.
- Clover. Clover can be found in lawns and flowerbeds both four-leaved and three-leaf. Clover’s root system can reach as deep as 86 cm under the ground. Clover can be annoying to see but it adds important nitrogen to the soil, stabilizes soil, and attracts pollinators. You shouldn’t rush to get rid of clover!
You should consider hiring professionals in Johannesburg to help you maintain and care for your lawn or plant a new lawn. They can restore the beauty and value of one of your commercial or home premises, as well as keep it looking great for many years.